- What is physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy is a regulated health profession that fills a unique and vital role in our health care system. Physiotherapists work with individuals of all ages to break down barriers to physical function. As experts in their field, physiotherapists specialize in eliminating pain and physical limitations that arise from a wide variety of common injuries and conditions such as:
• Removes the underlying cause of pain relieving muscle and joint pain and increasing joint range of motion.
• Relieves chronic pain; joint stress, body tension including headaches and migraines.
• Helps the body adjust to changes in hormonal levels, as well as structural changes experienced during pregnancy.
• Treats trauma experienced from motor vehicle accidents and sport injuries.
• Reduces scars and adhesions resulting from injuries or surgical procedures.
- Are physiotherapy services at the South City Physiotherapy covered by OHIP?
Yes, for eligible patients, physiotherapy services at South City Physiotherapy can be covered by OHIP under the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care’s “Community Physiotherapy Program”. To be eligible for OHIP coverage, you must have a valid Ontario Health Card, and be 19 or under, or 65 or over, or be a recently discharged hospital in-patient. To be eligible for program coverage, you must also have a written referral from a physician or a nurse practitioner.
If you are involved in a workplace injury, you may be eligible for WSIB benefits. PLEASE NOTE: Effective February 01, 2016, South City Physiotherapy will no longer accept WSIB patients. If you have been involved in a car accident, you may be eligible for auto insurance benefits. (see below)
- Can you bill directly to my insurance company?
Many extended health care policies do provide physiotherapy coverage. However, we always recommend that you contact your provider to determine whether or not you are covered and the amount which your provider will cover you for. Some insurance companies will allow us to bill them directly. However, we do have specific guidelines which must be followed in order to do so. Otherwise, you are billed directly and provided with a detailed statement for you to submit to your insurance provider for reimbursement.
- Do you accept Workplace Safety & Insurance Board (WSIB) claims?
No. While we have accepted WSIB patients in the past, effective February 01, 2016, South City Physiotherapy stopped accepting WSIB patients.
- Do you accept Motor Vehicle Accident (MVA) claims?
Yes, we do. We are also able to bill your motor vehicle insurer on your behalf. Before we bill your insurer however, your claim must be approved, and we must have exhausted any extended healthcare coverage you may have. (This billing priority is mandated by government legislation – not clinic policy).
- I was referred to another physiotherapy clinic by my doctor. Can I come to your clinic instead?
Yes, you can receive physiotherapy at any clinic of your choosing. You should ensure that the person delivering your care is a physiotherapist registered with the College of Physiotherapists of Ontario. All of South City’s physiotherapists are fully qualified and registered.
- Do I need a doctor’s referral?
You do not need a referral from your doctor prior to attending physiotherapy, as physiotherapists are considered primary health care providers. However, if you are looking to have your treatments covered by OHIP under the Ontario Ministry of Health’s “Community Physiotherapy Program”, you will need a written referral from a physician or nurse practitioner. Further, if you have extended health coverage, some insurance companies do require a referral from your doctor in order for you to be reimbursed for expenses.
- Will you contact my doctor to discuss you findings?
With your permission, your physiotherapist will discuss their clinical findings with your doctor and/or other members of your health care team. At South City, our reports to your doctor include; an initial assessment report, progress report(s) and a discharge report. As long as we have your authorization, the clinic sends these reports directly to your physician.
- What does a physiotherapy treatment involve?
For a comprehensive description of what physiotherapy treatment can involve, please see the physiotherapy section on our “Services” page of this web site.
- What can I expect from my first physiotherapy treatment?
Your initial assessment will be one-on-one with one of our qualified registered physiotherapists. Assessment usually last anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour, however it depends on the type of injury. Your physiotherapist will take a thorough history and review your current conditions(s). Any relevant tests will then be performed to determine goals specific to your individual needs.
- Are Massage Therapy, Acupuncture and other services also available at South City Physiotherapy?
Yes, massage therapy, acupuncture and many other services are available. Please see our “Services” page for a complete listing of services.
- Where are you located?
South City Physiotherapy is conveniently located at 620 Scottsdale Drive, Guelph, ON (at the corner of Scottsdale Dr. and Stone Road). We are in the former KFC/ Parties Plus location – across Stone Road from the Stone Road Mall.